Tobias DiPasquale on 17 Aug 2004 14:25:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] devfs, scsi, & 2.6

On Aug 17, 2004, at 9:30 AM, W. Chris Shank wrote:
anyway - regarding devfs: i'm using devfs and it is finding the rot (/)
partition fine, but during boot, fsck tries to mount /dev/hda3 - which
is /home - but it fails since there is no /dev/hda3 under devfs. The
system will continue to boot - and then I have to go to a console and
create a link from /dev/ide/...../part3 to /dev/hda3 - which I can then
mount. I suppose I could change the fstab to include the devfs devices
directly - but that would break compatibility with the 2.4.25 kernel.
What is the generally accepted method of getting this to work? Change
fstab? Automatically create the links to /dev/hda3 on each boot?

devfs is deprecated and has some problems. udev is now the preferred method of userspace device handling for the 2.6.x series. See the below links for more info (warning: some have a Gentoo bent; it seems that Gentoo guys are at the forefront of this particular field):

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/kernel/hotplug/udev-FAQ
http://www.reactivated.net/udevrules.php
http://webpages.charter.net/decibelshelp/LinuxHelp_UDEVPrimer.html

I would also recommend moving away from Debian to basically anything else; Debian's release process is very slow and totally b0rked. As well, nearly every other distro has an answer to APT these days (most can use APT as well) so that's no longer a selling point for Debian. Personally, I would recommend Gentoo.

Also- I've got a scsi device question with 2.6:is there scsi_mod and
ide-scsi drivers for 2.6? I get boot errors that the modules don't exist
and without them I can't get my CD-RW to work. Any thoughts on this?

If you compiled in SCSI support and SCSI emulation, all you need is a boot-time parameter of ide-scsi. You can ignore the errors for modules not existing (any script expecting a module when you've compiled it in statically will give this same error).

As well, the later versions of cdrecord don't require SCSI emulation to make use of an ATA CD-R/RW drive anymore, so that's not necessary unless you actually have SCSI devices.

--
Tobias DiPasquale