Paul on 17 Aug 2004 16:59:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Prior thread on VoIP

I hooked up with Vonage. (Let me know if you want a referral to save some cash.) I grabbed a UPS to keep my cordless phone, cable modem, and VoIP box running. The UPS also gracefully powers down my Linux box after a short time.

I paid $40 after rebate for a 500VA UPS. Right now, I think, CompUSA has a 350VA UPS for $30 after rebate, which is good enough to keep the phone system running for a while.

Vonage has proven to be a _much _ more stable and flexible service than Lingo. Don't even consider the Lingo garbage. Packet8, I don't know about; I almost gave them a try.

I am in the process of canceling my "traditional" phone line. We're just waiting for our phone number to be ported to Vonage.