Tom Diehl on 26 Aug 2004 02:40:03 -0000

[PLUG] Re: Fedora Core 1

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Ron Mansolino wrote:

> I have a core 1 disk set dated 11/2003. Should I bother to install it,
> or should I get something newer (ie, is it more trouble than it's worth)?
> A quick browse of ebay shows people selling core 3 (which I didn't see
> mentioned on the redhat site - what's up with that?)

FC1 is going to be eol'ed in about 2-3 weeks (I forget the actual date).
It has been solid here but I would not do any new installations with it.

There is no core 3 yet. There is core 3 test 1. core test 2 is due out the
same day they eol FC1. I do not remember if there is going to be a FC3 test 3
or not byt FC3 is still at least a month or 2 away. there is a schedule on
red Hat's site somewhere. I do not remember the exact url.

> I don't have anything important planned for it, I need something to play
> with to keep me occupied :)

you could try FC2 but remember that it is/was the first distro with a 2.6
kernel and selinux, so for some people it has some rough edges. Havins said
that it is running fine here on one of my machines.

If you are brave you could download FC3 test1 and update it to track rawhide.
You cannot get much more bleeding edge than that. If you do that expect
occasional breakage. It is almost guaranteed to happen. The good news is it
usually gets fixed within a day or so.

Tom