Paul on 27 Aug 2004 20:21:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Likely Cause?

Tobias DiPasquale wrote:

On Aug 27, 2004, at 12:43 PM, Paul wrote:

What is likely to cause the following problem. An IBM laptop will not power up. The voltage coming out of the power supply is good, but nothing happens when the power button is pushed. (I don't have the laptop in front of me yet, so I don't have any more information.)

Check the BIOS battery. If it powers up (i.e. the screen lights up black) and nothing else happens, then you've mostly got moisture in the laptop. In that case, just wait a half-hour in a dry environment and try it again.

That sounds like a good thing to check. Unfortunately, another guy looked at the laptop already and claimed that it had shorts inside. (That's the problem. The shorts belong on the outside!) I think it's unlikely, unless someone spilled a drink on it. Oh well.

BTW, is it difficult to replace a BIOS battery in a laptop?