Michael D. Barlow on 27 Aug 2004 21:21:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Likely Cause?

On a hardware note...

Bad connection at the laptop.

Bad power button

blown fuse/varistor  (Motherboard counts as a fuse)  :0

ground fault (if power supply has ground going to laptop)

I have seen hard drives go bad and short out the power supply.

I am sure there is some kind of voltage regulator.. They usually go bad when you try to put power to the laptop when it has some kind of liquid in it such as Kool-Aid.

Usually this equipment (regulator, battery charger, and the like is integral with mainboard. I have been proven wrong with some of the older/ technician freindly laptops such as the omnibook.

Your best bet is to crack it when it gets there and start chasing voltage from connector and beyond.

Disconnect floppy/cdrom/hard drive, battery

If voltage is good from power supply but goes to zero upon plugging in. You are looking at a short or ground fault at the mainboard.

If that is the case,,.... then it is probably time to swap.

If voltage is ok then. start picking and choosing between peripherals.

This is probably moot,,, BE VERY CAREFUL when taking a laptop apart.

These are all simple causes... I am not sure I would try to take it to the component levels,, unless the list has some electronics technicians that feel comfortable with a laptop motherboard and a soldering iron :)

Michael D. Barlow