Michael C. Toren on 30 Aug 2004 04:50:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Lag time.

On Fri, Aug 27, 2004 at 09:07:18PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> > That's a negative, good buddy. You sound like just another victim of
> > Comcast's excellent service.
>
> I'm not on Comcast, but I also saw delays of about an hour earlier
> today.  It hasn't been that common lately, but delays like this do
> seem to happen sometimes on this list.

This past Thursday there was an outage between approximately 2PM and
11PM, resulting from the qmail-send process on mail.netisland.net being
the victim of the EOM killer.  However, that exception aside, things
should be behaving properly.

I wrote a few scripts to do some quick and dirty analysis of the PLUG
mail I received this past week.  My personal mail is served by the same
server that serves PLUG mail, so the data sample is only indicative of
the time it takes for a message to be accepted via SMTP and for mailman
to retransmit it, as opposed to the additional time it takes for qmail
to then deliver the retransmitted message to a remote SMTP server.  Even
so, it was somewhat interesting to examine, and revealed that with the
exception of Thursday, messages normally only take a minute or two to be
processed.

If someone who is experiencing delays would care to privately forward
me copies of the messages in question with full headers once it finally
arrived, I'd be interested in examining them, even though it's unlikely
there's much we can do to help the problem -- as William stated, it
seems that SMTP delays are unfortunately a fact of life these days.

Thanks,
-mct

--
perl -e'$u="\4\5\6";sub H{8*($_[1]%79)+($_[0]%8)}sub G{vec$u,H(@_),1}sub S{vec