Art Alexion on 31 Aug 2004 00:11:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] I don't get it. What's the big deal with putting the response on top?

Howard Bloom wrote:

I don't like the response on the bottom. Someone will have to explain the
reason or purist reason why you all put the responses and replies on the
bottom of the message.

whether or not I used Outlook or Eudora, I
would still put my response on the top because"

1. I like it.
2. It is quicker.

Sometimes that is a bad thing as it encourages sloppy wholesale quoting of unnecessary irrelevant stuff.

3. It makes sense.

Sometimes. Sometimes it makes a lot of sense when the quoted stuff is really not that important, but necessary to remind the reader what your are talking about. But often, like the chapters of a book, it makes no sense.

You make an effort to put your
response on the bottom, but leave 50 lines of bullshit that is no longer
germane to the discussion. I could deal with the bottom response if the
messages were at least cleaned up.

One of the purposes of bottom quoting, as I understand it, is to minimize the irrelevant quotes. I find bottom quoters far less likely to quote everything, whereas top quoters often leave everything in, including 5 repeated signatures and list footers.

I don't belong to the orthodoxy on this. My peeve is a email where some of the correspondents bottom and others top quoted -- a mess to read. I tend to follow what the person I am addressing did.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c