David Richardson on 2 Sep 2004 15:02:02 -0000

[PLUG] Disaster Recovery Strategies

I have a linux machine that I would like to be able to completely restore to its current configuration in the event of a hard drive failure. I'd like to be able to just pop in a new hard drive, and have it magically work like the old one without the need to manually install or configure software.

I was thinking about just using dd to copy the entire hard drive on the currently working machine to a file and then if I ever need to put in a new drive just using dd to write the contents of the old drive onto the new drive. Is it a problem if the new drive is a different size than the old? Or does anyone have a suggest of a better way?

Thanks,
Dave