Adam Turoff on 2 Sep 2004 18:25:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [OT] Tech Firsts in Philly (was:...)

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 01:48:50PM -0400, William H. Magill wrote:
> but then again, since the article quotes Street as saying ...
> "Philadelphia hasn't had a first in technology since UNIVAC."

Roughly speaking, Street is correct, much as I hate to say it.  But that
doesn't address that nagging feeling in my gut that there have been
other significant firsts in technology that started in Philadelphia.

The only thing that comes to mind a the moment, weak though it may be,
is Drexel's announcement that they were going all-Mac in January 1984
(slightly in advance of the Super Bowl ad, ahead of Apple's wishes).

Surely that's not the only "first" in technology in Philly since UNIVAC...

Z.