Howard Bloom on 5 Sep 2004 04:17:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Interesting Article from eWeek

At the same time? Are you loving me lately or hating me?

> Having only reviewed 1/3 of the "Open Source Security Tools"
> book that I received from one of our own, I would say that
> Linux as a security workstation, which is really just a
> specialized desktop, is far superior to using Windows.  This
> is also my experience.  (I'm happy to say that I haven't
> learned too many new tricks from the first 1/3 of the book.)
> This is significant considering that the book also covers
> security tools for Windows.

First off name the book please.  I'm a Windows user on the desktop and a
Linux User on the server side.  I would very much like to find a solution
that does not necessitate Windows as the base O/S.  I have a copy of Xandros
2.5 and for an entry level user it's great.  I loaded it on my friends PC -
formally sporting Windows - and he loves it, but his use of the PC is
limited to browsing and email.

> One of the first improvements that I made to Windows, based
> on new information from the book, was loading "Sam Spade".
> Now I have the basic tools in Windows that I have always had
> available under Linux.  I have also used Ethereal in Windows,
> which is something that I had used long before under Linux.
> Oh, and Kismet and Nessus blow away anything that I've seen
> in Windows.  (Well, there is a Windows client for Nessus.)
>
> What I'm trying to get at is that Open Source software if
> good and getting better.  Linux is just another piece of the
> OSS pizza pie.
> (Pizza, I'm sure many people will agree, is essential.)

Unless on a low-carb regime.

> I'm happy that OSS is making it's way to the Windows desktop.
>  I'm even more happy that many of the applications have been
> ported from Linux.
> Some examples of the OSS programs I use in Windows and/or
> Linux follow:
> The GIMP, OpenOffice.org, Audacity, Mozilla, wget, OpenVPN,
> GPSMap, Cygwin, X-Chat, FileZilla, CDex, Bit Torrent,
> OpenSSH, JLookUp, nmap, Apache, PHP, MySQL and all those Web
> applications, etc..
>
> Why then, do I write e-mail from Windows?  Well, the family
> likes to play games developed for Windows.  I could cure that
> by buying a dedicated game console for the TV, but I choose
> not to.  (Well, that and I don't have the spare cash.)

And therein lies the problem.  I have programs I use that can only be run in
Windows.  Will the apps as the author questions - ever be ported over to
Linux?