Paul on 5 Sep 2004 04:53:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Interesting Article from eWeek

Howard Bloom wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org [mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of Paul
Sent: Saturday, September 04, 2004 11:51 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Interesting Article from eWeek

I love and hate people who act like you. I can be annoying in the same way. I'm just curious why you are trying to "enlighten" this Linux list?

At the same time? Are you loving me lately or hating me?

Both. I started off with a negative feeling, then I turned my thoughts inward and tried to focus on the topic objectively. From there I just wrote about my personal truth. (Basically, I let you and the topic through my automatic defense mechanisms. It's no big deal really. Like I said, I can be annoying in the same way you initially annoyed me. Just ask my wife or even Ben. But, there are benefits to stirring up trouble, if you don't get smacked down immediately!)

Having only reviewed 1/3 of the "Open Source Security Tools" book that I received from one of our own, I would say that Linux as a security workstation, which is really just a specialized desktop, is far superior to using Windows. This is also my experience. (I'm happy to say that I haven't learned too many new tricks from the first 1/3 of the book.) This is significant considering that the book also covers security tools for Windows.

First off name the book please. I'm a Windows user on the desktop and a
Linux User on the server side. I would very much like to find a solution
that does not necessitate Windows as the base O/S. I have a copy of Xandros
2.5 and for an entry level user it's great. I loaded it on my friends PC -
formally sporting Windows - and he loves it, but his use of the PC is
limited to browsing and email.

ISBN: 0321194438 I did name the book, mostly. "Open Source Security Tools: A Practical Guide to Security Applications" Hey, I wonder if that counts as my review?!

(Pizza, I'm sure many people will agree, is essential.)

Unless on a low-carb regime.

Touch my pizza, lose a hand!

<>

And therein lies the problem. I have programs I use that can only be run in
Windows. Will the apps as the author questions - ever be ported over to
Linux?

Actually, I didn't read much of the article. I read more of your commentary.

Well, Windows itself can be run from within Linux? Which Windows programs would you need to run under Linux? (I'm sorry if I missed any earlier discussion on this topic. Just like in the real world, I'm not always paying attention like I should.)

I don't think M$ Office will be officially ported if M$ can help it. Other than that, who knows?