eric@lucii.org on 11 Sep 2004 20:47:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] corrupt jpeg

On Sat, Sep 11, 2004 at 04:20:17PM -0400, Alexander Birch wrote:
> On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:33:38 -0400, John Sladek <jsladek@comcast.net> wrote:
> > I've had this happen when ftp'ing graphic files with out changing to binary
> > mode first.
> > Not sure if that helps..
>
> This happens when ftping between a windows box and a linux box. The
> windows box uses a carriage return and a new line, i.e., \r\n Where
> Linux just used \n.
>
> This is yet another reason not to use windows.
>
> Alex

That's an interesting theory (and I've had files corrupted in just this
way) but I'm pretty sure that's not the case here.  For one, there is a
single byte changed - and it's not from \n to \r or vise-versa.  Also,
these have not been anywhere near a Windows box (well, the computer
adjacent to it on the table runs NT but you know what I mean.)

Thanks for the info though.  I guess I'll have to start digging up the
file format for jpeg images and see if I can figure out how to edit them
to achieve the "fix" I'm looking for.

My other concern is what happens to my other (non-jpeg) files?  Is this
kind of "decay" effecting ALL of my files?  That would explain certain
documents that become un-openable on *rare* occasions.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth