Howard Bloom on 12 Sep 2004 19:51:03 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Interesting Article from eWeek

kaze wrote:
> --> At this point the major problem on the desktop falls more to
> --> misperception than incompatibility or ability. Education is our
> key
> --> here.
> --> Build up a box
> --> and plop it on you bosses desk. Make up a kiosk and display it
> where
> --> people can play with it. The next time you give a presentation
> make
> --> it with a linux computer and give a plug at the beginning (this
> --> gives people time to ask questions and think) It's just a matter
> of
> --> education at this point.
> --> ~Ed
>
> Maybe at PLUG presentations there should be an effort to at least
> boot the presentation PC off Knoptix? Advocacy and perception, right?

I don't think you get it.  I like Linux.  I like it a lot.  Linux is an
operating system like an Archer is an airplane.  If I am going to fly by
myself and just practice landings and takeoffs, I may fly a Cessna 150 and
not a Piper Lance.  When 5 people want to come along I have to fly the
Lance.  I can't cram them all into the 150.

When I work on my PC - selling on eBay - using proprietary programs that
only exist in windows, Linux just won't fly for me.  Not yet.  When the day
comes I'll tell Microsoft to go f*&#$*#$*& themselves and boot every
Microsoft program from my platters but until I can exist in the Linux world
only, that isn't going to happen.  I have to live in Windows and make the
best of it.

I am hoping for a time when I can do EVERYTHING within Linux. I would pay
for Linux versions of the software I use but the software companies don't
ever plan on making Linux versions of their software.

The article I posted talked about some areas of Linux where a novice user
isn't going to be able to use it especially if they find themselves in
situations where configuration changes become necessary.

What part of this don't you all understand?