Jason Costomiris on 13 Sep 2004 13:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Information about Encryption Algorithm & there comparisons.

On Mon, 13 Sep 2004 11:30:04 +0530, McLinux <mclinux@myrealbox.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am interested in studying various encryption algorithms ( Mainly I am
> interested in studying there comparisons). Can anyone please reply with
> URL or any site where I can find them?

Pick up a copy of Applied Crypto by Bruce Schneier.

That being said, what are your storage requirements?  Permanent?
Temporary?  What are the chances that someone could get ahold of the
ciphered data?  Speed of encode/decode?  Those are all factors in
choosing what types of algorithms you'll use.

My suggestion - for most applications, AES (or even 3DES) is what
you'll be interested in.  If you need more security, consider
public-key systems where you can secure the private key on a piece of
hardware, such as a usb token.

For most applications, AES-128, 192 or 256 would suffice.

--
Jason Costomiris <><
E: jcostom {at} gmail {dot} com / W: http://www.jasons.org/