Ron Mansolino on 13 Sep 2004 18:05:03 -0000

[PLUG] Real World: Linux

ok, but for those of you who have deployed it for regular users...
 (and how many of you are there???)

Do you let them have free reign over their desktop, or do they run
some sort of menu/kiosk/limited-option/custom interface?
 (is this what Citrix does, remote viewing ala VNC??)

What skills do I need to pickup so I can get a job doing desktop support
for corporate users? or is the state-of-the-art not there yet?

<aside>
At the last dotcom I worked for, we had a woman who was very technically
inclined (she programmed one phone switch). Unfortunately, she was nuts
and was convinced that gremlins and our MIS was spying on her. (since the
boss refused to pay for anything we had to use MSIE/Outlook and she had a
constant infestation problem). She would *constantly* futz with all sorts
of settings and parameters and spent as much time tweaking her machine as
she did doing productive work. If only we had Active Directory to save us...
</aside>

Do you folks see Linux making inroads at non-profits (and smaller companies)?
Oddly enough, I keep running into roadblocks there because MS seems to have
a program to keep these guys on the cutting edge (and like I said, we fell
behind because we couldn't keep up with the mandatory upgrades (or, planned
obsolescence, if you're conspiritorially minded)).

with too much free time on my hands,
--
Ron Mansolino   RMsolino@netaxs.com   http://www.netaxs.com/~rmsolino/