Chris Mann on 13 Sep 2004 18:02:04 -0000

RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 13:56, George Gallen wrote:
> What I would love to see, is a perl module that will allow reading
> parsing ACT! native files. Our company uses them for contact
> maintenance,
> as well as other fun methods like Outlook contacts, and Word Tables..
> (Oh stop laughing!).

I would love to help, but for some reason, my 4 brain cells reject
understanding perl, sadly.

> So, instead I have to convert the ACT! .dbf files to a .csv file, then
> use my utilities to work with the .csv file. Sure would be great if I
> could eliminate that step, then I could write assign an email address
> that would autoforward the attached ACT! file for automated parsing.
>
> Has anyone here had any luck reading the ACT! .dbf files?

IIRC, and thwack me if I'm wrong, I think act encrypts the .dbf files. I
would imagine it's the same encryption type tho, as you can transport
them from one act install to another.