Howard Bloom on 13 Sep 2004 18:36:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

________________________________

From: plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org
[mailto:plug-admin@lists.phillylinux.org] On Behalf Of George Gallen
Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 1:40 PM
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Subject: RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

	I missed most of the fun chatter on this...

	But, in a business setting, switching OS's should have
	a financial motivation. Just because the OS is free and/or
	open source isn't enough, if you have to spend hours yourself
	and/or pay someone else to retool the new OS.

	If Windows is doing the job, and doing it adequately...great.
	when it stops doing it adequately, then you need to look into
	  an alternative, whether it's a different MS OS, or not.

	Linux is great for some things, and terrible for others
	Windows is great for some things, and terrible for lots of others

	Point being, I don't either will put either out of the market
	each OS has it's faults that allow the other a niche.

	Best of both worlds is running two networks, windows and linux

	George

My problem with windows is how fragile an OS it really is.  Not so much on
the server side - as I build damn good hardened Windows Servers, but more so
on the desktop.

I have reinstalled my Office Desktop 4 times this year.  It took me a while
to figure out but it was getting hosed by an old Future Domain SCSI card I
was using that probably isn't on the compatibility list, but the last time
it was ruined was by the new version of ACT! Itself which didn't like the
combination of SQL and my encrypted hard drives.

To me, Linux offers more stability and that is important to me.  It is
certainly stable in the server realm.

Howard