W. Chris Shank on 13 Sep 2004 22:01:02 -0000

RE: [PLUG] More critique of Linux desktop

>From someone who has been running a "Linux" business for over 2 years I can
sympathize with both sides of the arguments here. The conclusion I've come
to is that Open Source software (whether it's Linux, Open Office, Mozilla,
what have you) isn't for everyone. Most people just want their computers to
work and be easy to use and be compatible with the rest of the world. That's
it. For that mindset, Windows is generally easier. However, the thing to be
aware of is that everyone has different perceptions of what is acceptable
for each of these requirements. For some, Windows is even too complicated.
For others, RealPlayer is the "standard" media format. For others still
Outlook and Word are the computer and everything else is a black hole in
their understanding and perception. The trick (and difficult and expensive
part) is to understand where your users are and what they are willing to
accept. Oh, and one universal that all of these users understands is money.
So never discount the cost argument, whether it be upfront costs or down the
road future "upgrade" costs. Everyone understands them - they have all been
burned by the costs at some point or another.

My lesson running a Linux company has been that to most users the thing on
their desktop is the computer. But the reality is that for most businesses,
the thing on the desktop is just a window to the real computer. Find a
balance between what they want and need and what you can live with and
support. I can say from the support perspective, a 100% linux environment
(desktop and server) is hands down FAR FAR FAR easier to support than the
equivalently setup Windows systems (setup = email, office apps, internet, &
biz speciality app). Sooner or later the rest of the world will realize this
too.

Anyway - regarding Act! - try Sugar CRM (www.sugarcrm.com) it's open source
but also includes support from the company behind it.

Oh yeah - and I'm sorry if my top post is bad form. I never realized there
was a netiquette involved in posting a message. Also, I happened to be in
Windows XP right now testing something on Outlook, so if the text is screwed
up - sorry.

Chris