Eric Hidle on 13 Sep 2004 22:32:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Bonding GRE tunnels

There's a subtle difference between load balancing and trunking. In fact, I
am now having a big discussion on IRC about it :) Load balancing is done
route by route, so once a route is cached, it will always use one pipe or
the other, but never both. Trunking is different in that it uses round-robin
to distribute frames across two interfaces, independent of routing
information. In my case, routing would be static and determined by the
underlying GRE tunnels. The bonding would see the two tunnel interfaces and
round-robin between them.

I cannot bond the two Ethernets together because they don't go to the same
place - they are over two different ISPs. The only thing I have that ends up
at the same place is the GRE tunnel. Basically what I need to do is 802.3ab
at the IP layer instead of the MAC layer. If I did have two connections to
the same ISP, and their router supported 802.3ab, I could theoretically set
up, with their cooperation, MAC-layer bonding between my router and theirs,
and everything would be happy. Unfortunately that is not the case, yet...