Rebecca Ore on 13 Sep 2004 22:49:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

On Monday, September 13, 2004, at 06:34 PM, Art Alexion wrote:

Stephen Gran wrote:

On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 03:43:03PM -0400, Art Alexion said:

Never seems to be up for more than a few minutes. Always automatically reconnects in a few seconds, but it kills ISO downloads.

Do others have the same experience?  Suggested fixes?

It works fine at my parents house - it's sometimes even up for several
days at a stretch, although usually they're kicked off every two days or
so, and it has to reconnect.

Has this combination worked before, or is this the first attempt?
When I got the service in June, I only had it on a Windows machine using WinPOET which Verizon supplies. Not a problem then. Reconnected to Windows and same thing -- no /detectable/ disconnects. That is, the little modem lights in the systray never get the superimposed red X. anyway Windows is not set to automatically reconnect, and I have not had to manually reconnect. That's why I thought it was something to do with rp-pppoe. I am using yawmppp to monitor the connection and it has a little clock displaying the connection time and an error message when disconnected. The time rarely exceeds a couple of minutes and mozilla often complains of a host not found.

I ask
because it sounds like a noisy line or something making the connection
drop. You can play with various settings in pppoe to work aroud it, but
a filter or something may be the way to go.

Not sure that was helpful,

Would be if it was the same in windows. That's why I wonder if there is any tune-up of rp-pppoe possible.

I'm working with a Belkin router and I've had a couple of disconnects and reconnects this month, but nothing since this:

2004/09/09 07:37:59  PPPoE receive PADS
2004/09/09 07:37:59  PPPoE start PPP
2004/09/09 07:38:00  Username and Password : OK
2004/09/09 07:38:05  PPPoE get IP : 151.197.xxx.xx

Complete IP obscured since I don't know how long I'll have it :).

Verizon tends to have spates of down times and then long runs of no problems at all from the Germantown CO. I suspect different COs have different ups and downs.