Stephen Gran on 16 Sep 2004 16:17:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] charset encodings

On Thu, Sep 16, 2004 at 11:25:57AM -0400, Tobias DiPasquale said:
> On Sep 16, 2004, at 11:17 AM, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > Anyone know a way around this sort of thing?  I'm willing to believe
> > Outlook is not respecting standards, but it must surely be possible to
> > modify the body on display to make it readable.
>
> Outlook is actually in the right on this one. UTF-8 is the character
> set for French. What you specified was a locale _and_ character set
> (fr_FR is a locale). The real problem here is that no matter what you
> specify, your terminal emulator is not able to display the high-bit
> characters correctly. You'll have to find a fully-i18n'ized terminal
> emulator (or turn that on in your current one). Anyone know any
> high-bit capable terminal emulators?

uxterm and mlterm, off the top of my head.  I think mlterm is broken in
a lot of ways, but might still work for this sort of thing.  uxterm is
supplied along with xterm, so it should work just fine.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Break into jail and claim police        |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | brutality.                              |