Aaron Crosman on 17 Sep 2004 17:58:02 -0000

[PLUG] OT: A Call for Volunteers

The organization that I work for is slowly starting to move into the
FOSS world.  We now have an Apache web server, and a Mailman server (I
said slowly didn't I), we have quickly reached the point that we have
demands for solutions faster then I can learn/find/create them.  So I'm
looking for people that would be interested in helping out on a
volunteer basis.

AFSC is a non-profit Peace & Social Justice organization based in
Philadelphia.  We would like to build a volunteer base to assist with
the IT department, so that we do not have to be dependant on expensive
consultants and allow us to take full advantage of the freedom that Free
software gives us (better/more options, better customization, etc).

For starters I need assistance getting our Apache server into a steady
state (which mostly requires finishing some PHP scripting to do server
maintenance), and getting our Mailman server into a full production
state.  In the near future we are hoping to start building/integrating
community building tools and online collaboration tools for first our
staff and volunteers, and then coalition partners as well.  At the
moment I'm mostly hoping for with help with Mailman or PHP/MySQL for
behind the scenes kinds of projects.  Although I'd be happy to try to
find things for anyone to do that wants to give their time.  As projects
get rolling I'll get a better sense of what other skill sets I need (for
instance I'd like an add-on for mailman that will allow users to do
newsletters with HTML formatting and some standard statistics, I assume
this will require a fair amount of python knowledge, plus parsing Apache
logs).

I look forward to working with anyone that is interested in contributing
their time to help AFSC.  Please contact me off list if you're
interested.

Aaron Crosman
AFSC, ITD

About AFSC:  The American Friends Service Committee is a Quaker
organization that includes people of various faiths who are committed to
social justice, peace and humanitarian service. Its work is based on the
belief in the worth of every person and faith in the power of love to
overcome violence and injustice.  For more information about AFSC please
go to our web site at: www.afsc.org