Kam Salisbury on 19 Sep 2004 23:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

Doug Crompton wrote:

Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2004 13:19:49 -0400 (EDT)
From: Doug Crompton <doug@crompton.com>
To: Phila Linux Users Group <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon DSL

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004, Malcolm J Harwood wrote:

On Friday 17 September 2004 10:35 am, Doug Crompton wrote:

> I believe that Verizon (only) DSL is now available at my location. I have
> been using a 24/7 dialup here for years. If I want it, it looks like I
> will have to spring for the business flavor with static IP. That is
> $79/month. A real rip-off considering the $29/month for residential dyn.
> IP.

If you just need a static IP (and not whatever else they include in "business"
if anything), consider going with a reseller. (DCA.net is the one I use -
they resell verizon/covad - currently you get up to 1.5/384 for $52/month
(inc tax)). DCA doesn't have 24x7 tech support (I think it's 8-8 and half
days on weekends), if that's an issue, but there may be people who do.

I might also add to my last comments that I do ALL of my own services - name serving, mail, web, etc. So I need Verizon or whomever to do nothing but supply me with a data port and IP address. According to their (Verizon) info with Business DSL they supply a lot I would not use. I don't want their domain name, mail, webpage etc. The unlimited dialup is nice I guess in a pinch.

I also have Verizon home service package - wired line and two Verizon Cell
phones. I am assuming that there would be some discount using all of their
services. At least they state that.

That being said, it would still be nice to deal with a more linux/server
friendly supplier like DCA if I could.

Maybe a dynamic ip plus use of dyndns.org could work for you?
--
Kam Salisbury
http://kamsalisbury.com