gabriel rosenkoetter on 18 Sep 2004 14:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Filesystem or File system

On Sat, Sep 18, 2004 at 08:30:46AM -0400, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
> On Sep 18, 2004, at 8:04 AM, Mike Chirico wrote:
> >OK, different topic. Is it FILESYSTEM or FILE SYSTEM?
> Filesystem.
>
> Its one of those words who's colloquial usage has made the concatenated
> variety the default through so much repetition, and indeed, makes it
> strange to see it the "normal English language" way. Spinlock,
> pathname, watchdog, filesystem, etc... all in the same boat.

Precisely the answer I'd have given. And, Mike, despite all the
Linux references you gave, Linux hasn't been around anywhere near
long enough for that to have happened. But the term "filesystem" has
been around as long as people have been writing OS theory, which is
a relatively long time.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net