Pat Regan on 19 Sep 2004 17:09:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] copy without mount

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:

> I want to copy a removable media file system without mounting it.  The
> reason is that my friend's digital camera writes these cards in a way
> that is not readable to my machine while my digital camera writes them
> in a way that is readable.  I'm curious to see if I can tell the
> difference, including potentially mounting the filesystem image rather
> than the original.

Are you sure the camera presents itself as a USB Mass Storage Device?  I
can't speak for all recent cameras, but I recently ran into one that
defaulted to PTP mode (Picture Transfer Protocol?).  This particular
camera had an option buried somewhere down inside it's menu to switch it
between PTP and Mass Storage.

If the camera doesn't support USB Mass Storage, I believe you have to pick
a program that uses gphoto as a backend to read the pics.

Either way, the card probably still has a FAT filesystem, the camera just
isn't letting you get at it.

Pat