Jeff Abrahamson on 19 Sep 2004 17:30:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] copy without mount

On Sun, Sep 19, 2004 at 12:55:02PM -0400, Pat Regan wrote:
>   [24 lines, 180 words, 985 characters]  Top characters: etaironh
>
> On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
>
> > I want to copy a removable media file system without mounting it.  The
> > reason is that my friend's digital camera writes these cards in a way
> > that is not readable to my machine while my digital camera writes them
> > in a way that is readable.  I'm curious to see if I can tell the
> > difference, including potentially mounting the filesystem image rather
> > than the original.
> >

> Are you sure the camera presents itself as a USB Mass Storage Device?  I
> can't speak for all recent cameras, but I recently ran into one that
> defaulted to PTP mode (Picture Transfer Protocol?).  This particular
> camera had an option buried somewhere down inside it's menu to switch it
> between PTP and Mass Storage.
>
> If the camera doesn't support USB Mass Storage, I believe you have to pick
> a program that uses gphoto as a backend to read the pics.
>
> Either way, the card probably still has a FAT filesystem, the camera just
> isn't letting you get at it.

The camera isn't involved except to write the CF card.  Forget the
camera.  I have a CF card and a USB CF reader.  The CF card in the
reader plugged into my machine is a mountable device.  (Technically,
it has a filesystem that is mountable.)

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20