Eric Hidle on 21 Sep 2004 00:16:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Adding a second HD to a Linux system

Title: RE: [PLUG] Adding a second HD to a Linux system
Personally, I'd opt for the $20 removable drive chassis that goes in a 5.25" slot rather than pay the $100 premium for an external USB enclosure... but that's just me..

If (the proverbial) you want to get really creative and adventurous, you can add two drives that are identical to the first and do a Raid5 array - but that takes courage - the benefit being that if you ever lose a single drive, you won't lose any data - the pitfall being you'll only have twice the drive space and not 3 times. I know RedHat can configure and install to software raid5.. not sure about other distros..

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, September 20, 2004 4:13 PM
Subject: RE: [PLUG] Adding a second HD to a Linux system

If somehow, someone is able to write to your webserver doc directory
and fills up your drive, you will also have your home directories unable
to be updated (out of space), unless you partition that new drive into
two filesystems (one for each).

Can your system use USB drives? If so, I'd put the webserver docs on
an external USB drive. Since the that drive will take the most work out
it will most likely be the first to fail, so make it the easier one to
replace in the future.

George