Doug Crompton on 21 Sep 2004 14:24:04 -0000

RE: [PLUG] Adding a second HD to a Linux system

What I do here is have both drives in removable bays. It is an ATA system.
Both drives are mapped the same. The second drive remains unmounted and
turned off via the key on the removable mount. When I want to back up I
turn it on, copy the first drive to it, and turn it off. Unfortunaltly
this requires reboot with any state change (drive on or off). I think this
could be avoided with serial ATA??? To use the backup the drives just need
to be swapped. With ATA you also would have to change Master/slave jumpers
on the drive when you swap. I believe this could also be avoided with
serial ATA.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *