Tim Wesemann on 22 Sep 2004 15:38:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dedicated loop?

Doug,

Email me off list with your TN, and I can get an exact response for you from VZ.

AFAIK, nobody but VZ is allowed in RT's not even in the "virtual CO" sense. VZ and CV _do_ have their own physical DSLAM's and it's not just a matter of access, it's a matter of extremely limited facilities as well...

--
Tim Wesemann
Voicenet Systems Administration

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Crompton" <doug@crompton.com>
To: "Phila Linux Users Group" <PLUG@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2004 11:27 AM
Subject: [PLUG] Dedicated loop?

In my quest for DSL I often plug my number in at websites that offer it.
It seems that Covad is the only one thus far that calls back from DSL line
checks. It is always interesting to talk to a real person. Two things came
up in the conversation. One was the problem of allowing third parties in
RT's. He said that they (Covad) were waiting for the go ahead on this as
the result of a court battle. The other thing was a "new" service they are
offering called "dedicated loop." They indicated it might be available in
my area in the future. Can anyone expand on what that is? According to the
sales person it is rather highspeed, static IP and about a $60/month cost.
I have never talked with a digital sales person yet who I had high
confidence in. So I take all this tongue in cheek. My clue was when I
asked him to explain it and he said it used the second unused pair of my
phone line! I'll bet Verizon would be glad to hear everyone had an unused
pair!

Doug

*  Doug Crompton    *
*  Richboro, PA 18954    *