Ron Mansolino on 22 Sep 2004 16:00:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Dedicated loop?

Doug Crompton said...

> In my quest for DSL I often plug my number in at websites that offer it.
> It seems that Covad is the only one thus far that calls back from DSL line
> checks. It is always interesting to talk to a real person. Two things came
> up in the conversation. One was the problem of allowing third parties in
> RT's. He said that they (Covad) were waiting for the go ahead on this as
> the result of a court battle. The other thing was a "new" service they are
> offering called "dedicated loop." They indicated it might be available in
> my area in the future. Can anyone expand on what that is? According to the
> sales person it is rather highspeed, static IP and about a $60/month cost.
> I have never talked with a digital sales person yet who I had high
> confidence in. So I take all this tongue in cheek. My clue was when I
> asked him to explain it and he said it used the second unused pair of my
> phone line! I'll bet Verizon would be glad to hear everyone had an unused
> pair!

That's sort of I had when I had covad (sdsl). there are traditionally 4 wires
per phoneline, the other 2 are (or, were) used for power. They order a circuit
to your location (in my case, it was an ISDN BRI, but I suspect it's a variant
on a plain-copper "alarm pair") and wire it from there. Then they run the dsl
over that, and it's basically a phone line without dial-tone. YOu have to be
within so many feet of the CO, without too many taps, etc...

--
Ron Mansolino   RMsolino@netaxs.com   http://www.netaxs.com/~rmsolino/