Stephen Gran on 25 Sep 2004 14:22:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] speaking of passwords (Samba)

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 08:57:32AM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> Suddenly, the win98 machine on the samba network can't log onto the
> Linux shares.  It refuses to accept the password.  Another Win95 machine
> has no problem with the same password on the same shares.  Ideas?

Up the debugging on samba to see if it gives you any clues.  Do you have
any recent windows versions on the network, or just 95 and 98?  I ask
because windows 95 and unpatched 98 machines send their password in the
clear, and patched 98 and later windows machines encrypt them.  Samba has
to be told whether the passwords are encrypted.  Just something to toss
in - it may just be a corrupt pwd file on the 98 machine.
|  Stephen Gran                  | By nature, men are nearly alike; by     |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | practice, they get to be wide apart.    |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | -- Confucius                            |