Rebecca Ore on 27 Sep 2004 22:39:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Netatalk performance?

On Monday, September 27, 2004, at 10:32 AM, W. Chris Shank wrote:

Anyone have experience with the Linux version of Appletalk (netatalk)? How
does it perform with both OS 9 & OS X systems? How does it compare to MS's
implimentation? Is it noticably faster/slower?

I've used it on RedHat 7.* and RedHat 9, once with a client at a distance and once with my local Mac several years later. Since I haven't had experience with MS versions, I couldn't compare them, but Appletalk worked transparently for the Mac User when I set it up for him in 1991 or 1992 (OS 9 or early X).

Appletalk seems to be about as fast as any other distance (NFS) file sharing I've tried, quicker than ssh with a NetBSD Sparc. It's a bit of a fuss to set up on the Linux side, quite easy on the Mac under OS X.