sean finney on 28 Sep 2004 01:47:01 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Netatalk performance?

On Mon, Sep 27, 2004 at 10:32:55AM -0400, W. Chris Shank wrote:
> Anyone have experience with the Linux version of Appletalk (netatalk)? How
> does it perform with both OS 9 & OS X systems?  How does it compare to MS's
> implimentation? Is it noticably faster/slower?

i can't say i have any benchmarks... though a point of warning: watch
out for netatalk + samba.  iirc, when the webserver i have it on ran
rh 7.2, it would periodically lock up the system hard.  when we upgraded
it to rhas 3.0, it would frequently die off, to the point where we had
to write up a cronjob that restarted it every 4 hours.

later, i heard of the "baltra" patch to netatalk, which has performed
much more reliably, though every now and then we get a call from a
random os x user who can't delete a directory for some reason.

	sean