Stephen Gran on 2 Oct 2004 19:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] X or fluxbox problem

On Sat, Oct 02, 2004 at 01:50:08PM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> My default window manager in Red Hat 7.3 is fluxbox.  I use Yum/Fedora
> Legacy to keep the system up to date.  A recent yum update updated a lot
> of stuff, including the kernel and XFree86.  Now fluxbox won't load.  It
> starts to load and then X restarts and I am back to the kdm login screen.
>
> KDE and Window Maker load fine.
>
> The system is triple boot with Mandrake 9.1 on hdb5 (and windows
> somewhere on hda along with Red Hat).  When I installed Mandrake, the
> install script promised that it would "update" my existing grub
> configuration.  Instead, it replaced it.  I had to hand configure it to
> boot Red Hat, but that worked OK until the kernel and X update.  The
> kernel update was supposed to update grub, but I think it updated the
> unused Red Hat installation of grub.  If that is the case, I may be
> booting a older kernel that is incompatible with the current X
> configuration.
>
> Any ideas?  I'd much rather use fluxbox than KDE on this partition.

Output of :
cat .xsession-errors
uname -a
egrep '^\((WW|EE)\)' /var/log/XFree86.0.log (or wherever Redhat puts the
  X logs)
lsmod
and X version

Without a little more information, I don't know what to say yet.  The
above is where I would start.  The fact that _some_ WMs work points to
it being a problem with fluxbox itself, so I think that .xsession-errors
will be the most enlightening, but I include the others on the off
chance that something interesting will pop up.

Also try moving your .fluxbox stuff out of the way, and retrying.
|  Stephen Gran                  | The economy depends about as much on    |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | economists as the weather does on       |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | weather forecasters.   -- Jean-Paul     |
|  			         | Kauffmann                               |