Art Alexion on 2 Oct 2004 17:50:02 -0000

[PLUG] X or fluxbox problem

My default window manager in Red Hat 7.3 is fluxbox. I use Yum/Fedora Legacy to keep the system up to date. A recent yum update updated a lot of stuff, including the kernel and XFree86. Now fluxbox won't load. It starts to load and then X restarts and I am back to the kdm login screen.

KDE and Window Maker load fine.

The system is triple boot with Mandrake 9.1 on hdb5 (and windows somewhere on hda along with Red Hat). When I installed Mandrake, the install script promised that it would "update" my existing grub configuration. Instead, it replaced it. I had to hand configure it to boot Red Hat, but that worked OK until the kernel and X update. The kernel update was supposed to update grub, but I think it updated the unused Red Hat installation of grub. If that is the case, I may be booting a older kernel that is incompatible with the current X configuration.

Any ideas?  I'd much rather use fluxbox than KDE on this partition.

--

Art Alexion

The attachment -- signature.asc -- is my electronic signature; no need for alarm.
Info @ http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/signature.asc.what.html

Key for signed PDFs available at
http://mysite.verizon.net/art.alexion/encryption/ArthurSAlexion.p7c