eric@lucii.org on 8 Oct 2004 19:47:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Millions of Dell power adapters recalled | Tech News on ZDNet

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 03:07:07PM -0400, ChrisB. wrote:
> Actually someone brought it to my attention only a few minutes before I
> received your plug email. We only have a few older Dell laptops and all have
> the recalled power cords.
>
> It is always interesting to me how companies handle recalls. I read an
> article about a year ago regarding corporate reaction to recalls. If the
> faulty part leads to dangerous circumstances which leads to law suits that
> will cost the company LESS then the recall, they wont make a recall. I am
> not sure if this is entirely true, but it is an interesting business
> practice none the less.
>
> Chris.

<topic type="off">

This only makes sense from a business perspective.  Just like the situation with
the Ford Pinto many years ago.  The part necessary to protect the gas tank
from being punctured by the sharp edge of the differental was about $1.50.
But, there were millions of Pintos out there and Ford calculated the number
of lives lost and the corresponding lost profits was LESS than fixing the
problem.  Turns out, in that time frame, a human life was worth $1 million.
So, from an investor's perspective, the decision made sense.   I believe that
23 people were killed.

That is the calculus of human lives vs. profits.  Computed every day by
corporations far and wide - including your government.
Mostly irrelevant if it's not your life - or your investment - or your
government :-)

</topic>

I've told my Dell ownin' friends about the recall.

I've got an IBM X-20.... I wonder what IBM's "calculus" is?  The computer
does have a LiIon battery that can burn (by itself) under certain heat/charge
conditions.  Keepin' the AC on HIGH in my office....

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth