Paul on 9 Oct 2004 17:27:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

Michael Leone wrote:

On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 11:01, Paul wrote:

MAC filtering is a weak defense anyway because almost anyone can change their MAC address to match an authorized address.

But how easy is it to find out what an an authorized address is? I can change my MAC address to anything I want, but how do I know that the MAC *must* be 00:01:03:A1:D5:BF, else I won't get what I want (i.e., access)?

Good question. The answer is that it is very easy to monitor wireless traffic and find the MAC addresses. Grab Knoppix STD and run Kismet to see. Or NetStumbler under Windows even. I believe, even with encryption the MACs will appear.