eric@lucii.org on 9 Oct 2004 18:10:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

On Sat, Oct 09, 2004 at 01:26:35PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Michael Leone wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 2004-10-09 at 11:01, Paul wrote:
> >

> >>MAC filtering is a weak defense anyway because almost anyone can change
> >>their MAC address to match an authorized address.
> >>

> >But how easy is it to find out what an an authorized address is? I can
> >change my MAC address to anything I want, but how do I know that the MAC
> >*must* be 00:01:03:A1:D5:BF, else I won't get what I want (i.e.,
> >access)?
> >

> Good question.  The answer is that it is very easy to monitor wireless
> traffic and find the MAC addresses.  Grab Knoppix STD and run Kismet to
> see.  Or NetStumbler under Windows even.  I believe, even with
> encryption the MACs will appear.

So you're telling me that if I run a wireless access point rather than
a wireless router then even MAC address authorization won't protect me.
What is there then?  WAP (or WEP or whatever that encryption stuff is?)

I bought a wireless router and my daughter compains that she cannot see
the shared drive on the server or the printer.  I want to replace it with
a wireless access point but don't want to invite "the neighbors" in.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#     "Oh, I have slipped the surly bond of earth