Paul on 9 Oct 2004 20:26:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Large Wireless Network on the Cheap

eric@lucii.org wrote:

Good question. The answer is that it is very easy to monitor wireless traffic and find the MAC addresses. Grab Knoppix STD and run Kismet to see. Or NetStumbler under Windows even. I believe, even with encryption the MACs will appear.

So you're telling me that if I run a wireless access point rather than
a wireless router then even MAC address authorization won't protect me.
What is there then? WAP (or WEP or whatever that encryption stuff is?)

I bought a wireless router and my daughter compains that she cannot see
the shared drive on the server or the printer.  I want to replace it with
a wireless access point but don't want to invite "the neighbors" in.

The shares may not be visible through the router because the router may not be passing broadcasts, which Network Neighborhood uses. try connecting by typing in the name of the IP address and the share name.

I'm not differentiating between routers and access points. I just know that I've sniffed wireless traffic and I've seen the MAC addresses plain as day. MAC checking helps because most people do not use a wireless sniffer. With WEP, even with the MAC you won't be able to connect, or at least you won't be able to view the text flying by, without the encryption key.

It's a good thing that you can't access those things so easily, because doing so would suggest that your neighbors could do the same.