sean finney on 11 Oct 2004 20:45:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Logrotate

On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 08:06:54AM -0700, Nick Read wrote:
> I assume you would enter the script in logrotate.conf
> but where would you define the mail address for the
> logs to be sent to?

better would be in a file on its own in /etc/logrotate.d if your
system supports it, because it keeps your changes as seperate
as possible from the default system configs.

in the example i gave, it sent the mail to root, who's
mail you should be reading in one way or another (and
if not, you should!).  however, you could choose
whatever address you wanted for the logs, as long as
you keep in mind that mail logs can get kind of big,
which can be problematic for traversing the internet
via smtp.  they may also contain potentially sensitive
information that you don't want going in the clear or
to yahoo/hotmail mbox.

	sean