Jon Nelson on 18 Oct 2004 00:19:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Re: DNS problem

--- Tom Diehl <tdiehl@rogueind.com> wrote:

> I second this. Especially the part about getting the
> Cricket book[1]. It has
> saved me many times.

I do have the book but it is at work and I am at home.
:(

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=linuxnotes.net

> That will give you a good idea what is wrong. You
> have several problems that
> need to be corrected.

Great tool!  Thanks, I fixed most of the errors.

> > servers is refusing to load it.  Have a peek at
> the logfile to see if any
> > errors are being reported...

No errors.

> According to the above url that nameserver is lame
> (not authoritative). This
> indicates a misconfiguration in the zone file. If
> you have not already done
> so suggest you post your zonefile. It will most
> likely be easier to
> troubleshoot. Once you get used to it dns is pretty
> easy but the learning
> curve can be steep. :-)

$TTL 3h
;
; Orgin added to names not ending in '.':
linuxnotes.net
;

@ IN SOA dns1.linuxnotes.net. named.linuxnotes.net. (
                2004101704    ; Serial
                1h            ; Refresh after 1 hour
                1h            ; Retry after one hour
                1w            ; Expire after one week
                1h )          ; Negative caching TTl
of one day

  IN A    66.33.243.2

; Name servers

  IN NS dns1.linuxnotes.net.
  IN NS dns2.linuxnotes.net.

; Mail servers

  IN MX 10 mail

; Host Addresses

localhost    IN A    127.0.0.1
www          IN A    66.33.243.2
mail         IN A    66.33.243.2
ftp          IN A    66.33.243.4
greyson      IN A    66.33.243.1
dns1         IN A    66.33.243.69
dns2         IN A    66.33.243.70

; Aliases

; SPF entries
linuxnotes.net. IN TXT "v=spf1 ip4:66.33.243.0/24 a mx
ptr -all"
mail            IN TXT "v=spf1 a -all"

> You can also run named-checkconf and named-checkzone
> against the zonefiles

No errors reported.

Thanks for all the help!

jon