Tom Diehl on 16 Oct 2004 19:52:03 -0000

[PLUG] Re: DNS problem

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Michael C. Toren wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 10:13:51AM -0700, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > > Remember to increment the serial number when you make changes as well.
> >
> > I didn't do that.  Will that prevent the changes from being propagated?
>
> The serial number is used by secondary nameservers to detect when a change
> has been made to a zone on the primary server.  If the serial number isn't
> incremented, secondary servers won't know to pull a new copy of the zone
> from the primary, and the world may see inconsistent domain data for your
> domain depending on which nameserver they query.
>
> If you're going to be handling your own DNS, I highly suggest reading
> through the DNS-HOWTO, and perhaps picking up the O'Reilly _DNS & BIND_
> book, both of which which cover these topics in much greater detail.

I second this. Especially the part about getting the Cricket book[1]. It has
saved me many times.

> > > BTW, I am still not seeing either an A record or an MX record here.
> >
> > Yeah, me neither.

You might want to goto:

http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=linuxnotes.net

That will give you a good idea what is wrong. You have several problems that
need to be corrected.

> Are you making your changes on dns1.linuxnotes.net (66.33.243.69)?  That
> nameservers still isn't answering queries for the linuxnotes.net domain.
> It's entirely possible you have a typo in the zonefile, and your name
> servers is refusing to load it.  Have a peek at the logfile to see if any
> errors are being reported...

According to the above url that nameserver is lame (not authoritative). This
indicates a misconfiguration in the zone file. If you have not already done
so suggest you post your zonefile. It will most likely be easier to
troubleshoot. Once you get used to it dns is pretty easy but the learning
curve can be steep. :-)

You can also run named-checkconf and named-checkzone against the zonefiles
and config files. That way you will see if you have syntax errors in the
configuration files immediatly.

HTH,

Tom

1. DNS and BIND 4th edition by Albiz and Liu. ISBN:0-596-00158-4