Michael D. Barlow on 21 Oct 2004 22:33:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ATX Power Connector Charring and Random Rebooting

Well,, The good news is you have a new power supply on the way.

Two things cause a connector to burn up

1st thing is a loose connection at the connector causing the connector to heat up.(not likely)

2nd thing and more likey is too much current being drawn through that particular contact point.
Could be a short, or ground fault
could be an undervoltage at 5v. Voltage goes down, current draw goes up (voltage regulator in power supply is bad)
Hopefully, the power supply going bad did not damage the Mboard, however, if the machine is mission critical then it is time to buy a new main board. I would not trust it at this stage.

A possibility is that hard drive is the failure point. Usually the peripherals are the failure point on a system.

Give the power supply a shot, if that does not work then start troubleshooting it down.

Hope this helps

peace