Paul on 21 Oct 2004 16:08:02 -0000

[PLUG] ATX Power Connector Charring and Random Rebooting

Need opinions. The question is, would a bad power supply cause charring at the ATX connector on the motherboard, or is the real problem on the motherboard itself? Now for the details.

According to this diagram, http://xtronics.com/reference/atx_pinout.htm , +5V pins 4, 6, 19, and 20 (all red wires) are charred at the ATX motherboard connector. I had to pry the connector loose with a screw driver. Pins 4 and 20 actually lost parts of their plastic insulators. When the PC was running (I don't risk switching it on anymore.) everything worked as expected, but sometimes the entire system would blink off and reboot. Sometimes it would reboot upon reaching the drive detection phase. Sometimes it would reboot after the OS had been loaded and running for a while.

None of the other connectors have any damage.

(I did order a new power supply based on the symptoms before I even noticed the charring. Antec True Power 380W, about $60, to replace the stock 350W PowMax piece of poop. They really put the "Pow" in PowMax!)