Jeff Abrahamson on 22 Oct 2004 11:54:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam programs

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 07:06:33AM -0400, Tobias DiPasquale wrote:
>   [34 lines, 156 words, 1271 characters]  Top characters: _asioen-

> On Oct 21, 2004, at 11:57 PM, Doug Crompton wrote:
> > How does DSPAM differ from Spamassassin?
>
> DSPAM is the most advanced Bayesian analysis filter for spam
> categorization available today, bar none. It is also orders of
> magnitude faster than SpamAssassin. You can make heuristics with a
> combination of iptables and your LDA, but DSPAM was designed to do
> per-account Bayesian for domains, so I think it will work just fine for
> you. Check it out here:
>
> http://dspam.nuclearelephant.com/
>
> Alternatively, if the setup of DSPAM is too complex for you, you can
> use bogofilter for the same purpose but be warned: it is worse and has
> less features than DSPAM.

I just checked the dspam web site.  It looks pretty good.

I've been using bogofilter with essentially no false positives (that
I've found ;-) for the better part of a year.  I get a dozen or two
false negatives a day, though.  I see 50 or so positives a day that I
scan each morning.

I am running bogofilter with a database of 23,272 spams and 43034
non-spam messages.

Alas, dspam is not currently in debian testing, so my trying it will
have to wait for a slightly bigger time slot than it would if I could
apt-get it.  But thanks for the URL and the recommendation.

--
 Jeff

 Jeff Abrahamson  <http://www.purple.com/jeff/>    +1 215/837-2287

 A cool book of games, highly worth checking out:
 http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1931686963/purple-20