Doug Crompton on 22 Oct 2004 03:58:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam programs

On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, George Theall wrote:

> Osirusoft shut down their RBL late summer of last year (see
> <http://relays.osirusoft.com/>); ditto with Dorkslayers (see
> <http://www.dorkslayers.com/>).

You know I thought I was going crazy... I had previously disregaarded
those checks I thought but when I restarted spamd last night it started to
flag virtually all mail as spam. In checking I found out that it was
because of false relay reports from these sites. Either they are up again
or someone else took it over because my spamd was certainly connecting and
getting a reply from both osirusoft and dorkslayers!

How does DSPAM differ from Spamassassin?

> I currently use a three-tiered approach:
>
> 1) I use my firewall to deny access completely to known spammers and
> pretty much all of China and Korea.

Can I get your list?

> 2) I use sendmail hacks to block hosts using bad hellos or in either the
> Spamhaus SBL or SORBS dnsbl blacklists and to require reverse DNS.

I am using sendmail. Can you share them?

> 3) I use an up-to-date Spamassassin in conjunction with periodic
> rules_du_jour updates to filter whatever gets through.

Yes I have to update my SA or go to another one.

Doug

*  Doug Crompton	   *
*  Richboro, PA 18954	   *
*  215-431-6307		   *