George Theall on 22 Oct 2004 14:29:02 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Spam programs

On Thu, Oct 21, 2004 at 11:57:34PM -0400, Doug Crompton wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Oct 2004, George Theall wrote:
>
> > Osirusoft shut down their RBL late summer of last year (see
> > <http://relays.osirusoft.com/>); ditto with Dorkslayers (see
> > <http://www.dorkslayers.com/>).
> Either they are up again
> or someone else took it over because my spamd was certainly connecting and
> getting a reply from both osirusoft and dorkslayers!

Read the text on relays.osirusoft.com -- it explains why they answer
127.0.0.2 to all queries (ie, everything looks like spam).

> > 1) I use my firewall to deny access completely to known spammers and
> > pretty much all of China and Korea.
> >

> Can I get your list?

I don't mind sharing it, but you would probably be better off compiling
it yourself -- what I might consider spam you and others on your system
might not. For example, I've experienced a *lot* of abuse in the past
from China / Korea, have received practically no response to reports of
abuse from there, and feel I have no reason to provide services to them;
thus, I deny access to large swatches of their IP space.

> > 2) I use sendmail hacks to block hosts using bad hellos or in either the
> > Spamhaus SBL or SORBS dnsbl blacklists and to require reverse DNS.
> >

> I am using sendmail. Can you share them?

See <http://www.cs.niu.edu/~rickert/cf/bad-ehlo.html>,
<http://www.cs.niu.edu/~rickert/cf/hack/require_rdns.m4>, and
cf/hack/dnsblaccess.m4 in the sendmail source (first available with
8.12.0, I believe).

George
--
theall@tifaware.com