eric@lucii.org on 25 Oct 2004 10:49:06 -0000

[PLUG] Video card recommendations?

Does anyone have favorite recommendations for video cards under Linux?

My old video card overheated itself and I replaced it with a BFG Tech
"GeForce MX 4000" with 128 MB DDR and AGP 8x/4x.  The choice of card is an
entire story in iteslf (basically a package reading error.)

Frankly, my experience is that the card stinks with Linux.  It is not on
the list of recognized cards in SaX2 (under SuSE 9.1) and BFG has very
little about Linux other than "use nvidia drivers".  It "works" as a "VESA
Framebuffer Graphics (nvidia)" card but sometimes the VC's are black or
speckled white/multicolor and I have to reboot the machine to fix that.

What cards have you used that you'd recommend?  I do very little gaming but
would like some 3D acceleration for those rare occasions when I do.   Cost
is an object... keeping it under $100 - way under if possible :-)  Oh, and
it should not have a fan... that's how the last one got toasted :-(

Thanks,
Eric

#   Eric Lucas