hockeyfulm on 25 Oct 2004 12:30:04 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Video card recommendations?

(new member here - so go easy on me...)

I use the Nvidia GX 400 series cards at home, not the most recent cards nor the speediest I admit but they get the job done on my budget...  I also run SuSE 9.1 and the Nvidia driver is not picked up cleanly when you let Sax2 run... Instead I might recommend running YaST Online Update (YOU)... there will be a choice to d/l the Nvidia package/script... when this script is run, it will install and configure the card for use - allowing 3D and higher resolutions.   The only caveat I found - AGP is not configurable and will default to 2x (higher AGP values may mean a kernel hack/recompile).  The online update (YOU) is recommended over running the package available for d/l from the Nvidia site - I have had little luck with this method - mainly due to library locations (maybe just a SuSE thing?)

As for overall card performance, I use KDE and I must say overall there has been no issues.  Gaming performance (Tux Racer, Pingus, TORCS, and TuxKart, etc.) was very playable - no lag or annoying screen flicker.  Video capture is very decent too (in this AMD box, I have a Hauppage WinTV tuner card too)

Hope this helps in some way...

regards,
-fred u.