Jeff Abrahamson on 25 Oct 2004 14:25:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] ad hoc UDP listener

Hey, that's cool.  Thanks.

But it looks like the host on which the program runs has to be
configured to log to my machine.  This wouldn't happen.  Plus, I don't
have control over where my program is run, I just want to keep tabs on
it.

    man syslog

    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-syslog.html

Pythons logging module might be possible, though.  I see that there's
socket support.  I just have to arrange, again, for a reliable
listener.

    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-logging.html

I probably could use inetd, but I'm a bit worried, again, about the
UDP close problem.  I could also use TCP instead and let inetd handle
the details for me.

Of course, then I'd have to install inetd, which I normally don't
install for concern about security.

-Jeff